The name leading the pack for performance tires and inserts is Pro-Line. They recently released some new Closed Cell Foam Inserts for 2.8″ sized tires so we decided to give them a spin to see how they held up in a hardcore bashing environment. Here is what we found out -
* The closed cell foams weigh more than old school foam. A mounted PL Trencher with closed cell foam weighs in at about 206 grams. The same wheel and tire with a traditional foam weighs in at 180 grams. The upside to the increased weight is that it is easier to pull trick maneuvers like back flips and front flips in the air. The downside is increased rotating and unsprung mass, which can make your electronics run slightly warmer. During our testing we did notice slightly warmer temps but nothing drastic.
* We mounted a closed cell set-up on one side of our review Pro-Line PRO-MT and the same wheel/tire with traditional foam on the other side. We then popped in a 3S LiPo pack and stabbed the gas HARD. The result? There was noticeably less ballooning of the tire with the closed cell insert. Less ballooning makes your truck much easier to drive at high power levels.
* We drove the inserts on a wide variety of surfaces. From the high bit carpet track at the iHobby Expo hall, to the damp high bite dirt inside of Leisure Hours Raceways, to the high bite asphalt at our local CostCo, the closed cell foams drove noticeably better than old school foam. The closed cell foams gave all the trucks a more precise feel and they also seemed to have more mechanical grip.
* We found the trucks we used the closed cells on much easier to drive when doing speed runs. We did speed passes with two different trucks, the PRO-MT and a Vaterra Halix. Both were using MaxAmps 3S LiPo and Castle brushless power. We found the tires ballooned less with the closed cell inserts and were much easier to drive as they neared their top speeds.
Overall – for general bashing we found the Pro-Line 2.8″ closed cell inserts to be a huge improvement over old school foam. The inserts are priced at $11 per pair and you can get more details at This Link over on Pro-Line’s website.
Click Here to read more reviews on BigSquidRC.
Pro-Line Closed Cell Foam 2.8 Review Gallery
Want to save some cash on some uber gear? The Pro-Line crew is having a Halloween Sale this weekend. During their sale you can get $5 off a $50 order, $20 off a $150 order, and $40 off orders over $250. To get more details on Pro-Line’s Halloween Sale simply hit up This Link to head over to their website.
Ready for another Halloween TGIF Mystery Link?
Are you one of those hardcore bashers that have converted your Traxxas Stampede 4×4 over to 17mm hexes? If so you can rejoice, Pro-Line is now making their very trick F-11 wheels with a 17mm hex. These are priced at just $11 per pair, have a part number of #2755-03, and you can click Right Here for full details over on Pro-Line’s website.
Time for another TGIF Mystery Link!
Pro-Line 2.8 17mm Hex Wheels
For sand, mud, snow, or hydroplaning, Pro-Line Sand Paw tires are the best on the market for getting traction. Now Pro-Line is offering their Traxxas 2.8″ sized Sand Paws pre-mounted. This not only saves you the trouble of gluing up a set of tires, but also gets you bashing in the fastest time possible.
The 2.8 Sand Paws come on black Pro-Line F-11 wheels and come in two different offsets. #1186-14 is the part number for Nitro Stampede rear, JATO & Nitro Rustler rear, 2wd electric Pede & Rusty front, and Pede 4×4 front and rear. #1186-15 fits electric 2wd Stampede & Rustler rear. Both are priced at $36 per pair and you can get more details at This Link over on Pro-Line’s website.
Read up more Pro-Line news by hitting This Link on BSRC.
Pre-Mounted Sand Paw 2.8
Pro-Line has announced a bunch of new accessories to show the world you are into rc.
First up is their old school Legacy Trucker Snapback Hat. The Snapback is one size fits most and is priced at $16.
To clean up that messy pit area of yours, PL also has new Micro Fiber Pit Towels. These high-end towels come in pairs and are priced at $5.
Did you know Pro-Line has won 12 world championships? If not, you do now, and Pro-Line has a cool looking Blue World Championship T-Shirt to commemorate the fact. Sizes range from small to XXL with a price of $16
Last up are a bunch of trick new Pro-Line Decals. These should look great on your rc truck or your full size ride. Prices range around $5.
Click Here for more Pro-line news on BigSquidRC.
Pro-Line Gear Gallery
Pro-Line’s Blockade tires are some of the most race winning tires in recent history. They have dominated everywhere from local tracks to world championships. Now they are available in a 3.8″ size to give serious traction to your monster truck.
Blockades give great forward bite with predictable side bite in the corners. The Traxxas style 3.8″ version comes with rows and rows of large pins to get maximum traction on grass, dirt, and dusty surfaces. They are street priced at $35 per pair and they have a part number of #10109-00. Full details can be found over on the official Pro-Line Website.
How about more Pro-Line news on BigSquidRC?
Pro-Line 3.8 Blockade Gallery
Just like in the full scale world, the single most effective upgrade you can make to your basher is better tires. The new fully licensed Interco TSL SX Super Swampers from Pro-Line promise more grip with a great scale authentic look. These are designed to fit the popular Traxxas 2.8″ wheel size and come with the new high-zoot closed cell Pro-Line inserts. The Super Swampers are said to give slightly more side-bite than PL Trenchers, with similar amounts of forward bite. Pricing is $21 per pair and they have a part number of #10110-00. Check out This Link for more details.
Click Right Here to learn more about Pro-Line on BigSquidRC.
Pro-Line Super Swamper 2.8 Gallery
Fully licensed by Volkswagen, the new Baja Bug Clear Body from Pro-Line will truly set your Axial Yeti apart. The Baja Bug is a perfect fit for the Axial Yeti and comes with window masks, a decal sheet, and over-spray protection. Street pricing is $37 and the part number is #3238-02. To be the fist person on your block to get one, simply hit the pre-order button at This Link over on Pro-Line’s website.
Can’t get enough Pro-Line news? Get More on BigSquidRC.
PL VW Baja Bug Gallery
It’s hard working on a truck that rolls all over your tailgate or pit table, therefore many hobbyists use car stands when they wrench. We recently got a chance to check out both of the new car stands (1/10 & 1/8) from Pro-Line Racing and here is what we found out-
* We found the PL stands quite sturdy, they could handle the heaviest bashers we popped on them no problem.
* The powder coated finish held up well, even when bouncing around inside our pit box.
* We are used to stands that fold down to save space when not in use. The PL stands are solid but found they still fit easily into a pit box. When not in use we packed ours upside down and stored parts inside of them for a more efficient use of space.
* Our Bash Crew really liked the motocross look of the PL stands.
* The 8th scale stand was plenty tall, even for big monster trucks like the Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 and Savage Flux.
Overall we found the Pro-Line car stands to be top notch and well worth the cash. The Pro-Line 8th Scale Stand is priced at $44 while the 10th Scale Stand is $34.
Pro-Line Car Stand Gallery
You saw the a unveiling, the first drive, and the review. Still want more?
Now it’s time to watch the Pro-Line Racing PRO-MT get built!
Our in house fix it guy Wrench sat down and did the full build in about 2 hours. We won’t make you watch that long though, the video is super speedy so you get it all in about 3 minutes!
Don’t forget to check out the Official PRO-MT Page HERE.
Need more Pro-Line news? Get it Here on Big Squid RC!
Blockades are famous for winning races, now Pro-Line is teasing them in the popular 3.8″ Monster Truck size. If you spend much of your time bashing on a hard packed dirt surface the Blockades should give you excellent traction. Expect full details in a few days, until then feel free to head over to Pro-line’s Website for more information on all of their fine products.
Hit up This Link to read about more Pro-Line products on BigSquidRC.
THE Pro-Line PRO-MT Monster Truck Review
Low slung buggies and stadium/SCT trucks are great for busting out fast laps, but for real bashing monster trucks still rule. With bigger tires and more ground clearance, monster trucks can blast over the roughest of terrain, land from the highest jumps, and smash into hard objects better than their smaller counterparts.
Recently Pro-Line decided to throw their hat into the 10th scale 2wd monster truck ring. Their new PRO-MT is made up from a slew of high-end hop-up parts, do they jell to form the ultimate basher, or fall short into an overpriced shelf queen? You know the drill, hit the “Read More” button to find out…
The folks over at Pro-Line have released a video featuring their new PRO-MT monster truck. The PRO-MT should make a BIG splash in the bashing world, watch the video to see it in action and to learn more about its features. To get full details on the PRO-MT, check out its official page on the Pro-Line Website
Our full review of the PRO-MT goes up tomorrow, until then check out This Link for more Pro-Line news here on BigSquidRC.